Thursday, September 16, 2010

Red Leaf and Helenium (Sneezeweed)


Took an early walk today and enjoyed the long morning shadows and wind in my hair. Tuesday's silence had disappeared. Instead, I heard traffic from Pine Street (we live at least 2 miles away from Pine St.) a lawn mower, a dog barking across the river, as well as the dog's owner yelling, "Shut UP!" It's amazing how noisy some days are! Along the way I found half of a bird egg, a tiny puffball that poofed its brown smoke when I poked it, and the seed pods of a sensitive brier. Fyi: if you ever see a seedpod on a sensitive brier vine, do not touch it or you'll get a handful of invisible splinters. They are so tiny it's hard to get them out. I had about ten in my hand even though I was very careful when I picked it to draw, and then dropped it immediately.

While I was picking prickles from my hand, I noticed the beautiful crimson leaf on the ground. A much safer choice for today's journal entry. I though the red contrasted nicely with the yellow of the Sneezeweed (Helenium).

3 comments:

nancysbaldwin said...

No, no ... I was wrong. THIS is the picture I must have! I look for red leaves in my forest paths this time of year & lay handfuls on my kitchen window sill & counter tops. Remember talking about "harbingers?" Red leaves are my favorites!

Helen said...

:-)

Betsy Grimes said...

loewly Helen, just perfect. Love the color and image contrasts. You have so MANY gifts. It is a joy to watch you use them all!