Friday, March 18, 2011

Round-lobed Hepatica, Rue Anemone, Partridgeberry





I headed out today with a specific mission: to hike to the lower portion of Meetinghouse Creek and draw the Round Lobed Hepaticas that grow all along the edges, on both the east and west-facing slopes. The day was warm for March (over 80 degrees) and even though there was a cool breeze from the west, it passed way over my head as I sketched beside the creek, and the sun shining straight down on me made me feel rather toasty. On the other hand, I was cooled by the damp, black loamy soil, revealed as I slid slowly downhill and scraped away the leaf litter, which allowed my jeans to soak up some of the moisture.

The plants above are growing on the east-facing side of the creek, in a steep bank of moss along with many dainty Rue Anemones, Partridgeberry vines, and lots of violet-shaped leaves about the size of my pinky fingernail. Butterflies fluttered past: a Tiger Swallowtail, Mourning Cloak, Spring Azure, and three Folded-wing Skippers. A fat, black fly buzzed around for a while, and had the nerve to land on me. Daisy explored for a while, and finally took a nap. This is not her favorite kind of hike.



Nappy-time!



Last year's leaves plastered to a rock in the creek





No comments: