Friday, November 27, 2009

Fossils, Shells, Sea Glass, Sea Whip


Today was our last day at the beach. To celebrate our wonderful week I took my journal to the beach this afternoon and settled down to draw whatever I found around where I sat, or on the beach in front of me.

Sitting there I thought about how lucky I am to have access to this beach crowded with wildlife, not by people. Every morning I've seen deer tracks running right along the beach, and today I noticed that both deer and raccoon have a major highway located between the low dunes and the tidal creek that snakes around behind them. Also back there: Great Blue Heron tracks, Little Blue and other smaller bird tracks, and big rafts of brown sea oat stems washed in by high waves. In the cold wind I smelled the beach, the pluff mud of the creek, and wood smoke from somebody's fireplace. The surf was calm, and occasionally there would be a slight pause in wave action that offered up a remarkable silence not usually found on a beach. Dolphin rolled far out in the smooth water and pelicans cruised in single file right over me and the lone pelican that floated on the water. Sanderlings skittered around on the damp sand, dashing in and out of the smallest waves.

Tomorrow we head back to Middlewood. We'll pick up Daisy and Radu on the way, and as soon as we unpack I'll head right out into the woods. As wonderful as the beach is, it is always good to get back home.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this one. I lived in FL for about 11 years so I'm missing the beach. :-(

nancysbaldwin said...

Oh, i so agree with lauraO! This post makes me miss atlantic beach! I love being at the beach in the winter. Remember crabbing with us many years ago on a winter weekend at edisto???

Anonymous said...

you are such a talent I love your illustrations! I too enjoy interpreting the sea and nature through my printing. Hope you can check out my blog too. isolabellashop.blogspot.com

Happy Holidays! Gina